Apple Cider Vinegar
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and all information in this article was found on the internet, and has links to those websites. Please consult you physician before you make any changes that will affect your health, to make sure it is right for you.
Apple Cider Vinegar …….there are many claims on the internet about what it can do for you. Are they fact or fallacy? It’s not a “miracle” or a “cure-all” like some people seem to believe, but it does clearly have some important health benefits.
Here are 6 health benefits of apple cider vinegar, that are supported by scientific research.The following appeared on Authority Nutrition a web site that deals in an evidence based approach to health and diet:
- Apple Cider Vinegar is High in Acetic Acid, Which Has Potent Biological Effects.
- Acetic Acid is a Potent Antimicrobial and Can Kill Some Types of Bacteria
- Apple Cider Vinegar May Lower Blood Sugar Levels, Which is Very Useful For Diabetics
- There Are Some Studies Showing That Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help With Weight Loss
- Apple Cider Vinegar May Have Some Benefits For Heart Health
- Vinegar May be Protective Against Cancer
For detailed information visit the Authority Nutrition website at the link above.
According to the Bragg’s website Apple Cider Vinegar has the following benefits:
• Rich in enzymes & potassium
• Support a healthy immune system
• Helps control weight
• Promotes digestion & ph Balance
• Helps soothe dry throats
• Helps remove body sludge toxins
• Helps maintain healthy skin
• Helps promote youthful, healthy bodies
• Soothes irritated skin
• Relieves muscle pain from exercise
In an article from Mind Body Green an awesome site for all things healthy. The benefits of apple cider vinegar range from internal to external……even to housekeeping. Check out their site for detailed information.
1. Apple cider vinegar can detoxify your home.
2. It can make your hair shine.
3. Natural apple cider vinegar regulates the pH of your skin.
4. It can remove stains from teeth.
5. It can soothe sunburnt skin.
6. Apple cider vinegar can be used as a natural aftershave.
7. It’s an all-natural massage treatment.
8. Apple cider vinegar can aid in weight loss.
9. Apple cider vinegar will balance your entire inner body system.
10. It can help you detox.
11. ACV is great for your lymphatic system.
12. It can help your body get rid of candida.
13. ACV can help you reduce heartburn.
14. The use of apple cider vinegar is effective in repelling fleas on your pets.
15. It’s an all-natural room freshener.
Tim and I have been using an “elixir” we concocted from Apple Cider Vinegar. It’s a simple mixture: 1 part apple cider vinegar to 1 part organic honey, and 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon, per 1/2 cup of of liquid. (Example 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup honey, 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon.)
Put in a container (we use the honey bottle) shake and drink up to three times per day. With me working in a Elementary School and Tim working with the public all day, we need all the help we can get in keeping germs at bay. Apple cider vinegar seems to do the trick. For us, once in the morning and once at night, about 1 tablespoon each time. We honestly don’t measure we just take a swig out of the bottle.
So far we have realized the following benefits:
- Fewer colds and flu. If we do happen to get sick we increase our daily amount of our elixir, and it seem to shorten the duration and ease the symptoms.
- Far less heartburn. We both suffer from heartburn and this seems to “cure” it for us.
- We notice a difference if we do not take it for a few days.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts:
- Be sure to use raw, organic unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother. The mother is a cloudy mass which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar.The mother is full of probiotics and other beneficial bacteria. Bragg is an excellent brand, and the kind we use.
- Don’t drink it straight. It’s so acidic that it could harm your tooth enamel and your esophagus.
- Don’t use a lot. 1-2 tablespoons either diluted in water or if you use our “elixir” 1-2 tablespoons per day.
Bottom line…….Apple cider Vinegar is not a magic fix all, but it does seem to have important health benefits……unfortunately many of these claims are not supported by science.
Of course, absence of proof isn’t proof that something isn’t happening and anecdotes often end up becoming supported by science down the line…….science can sometime be slow.
I think that apple cider vinegar is useful and is definitely a good candidate for some self-experimentation if you’re interested in it. At the very least, apple cider vinegar seems to be safe. There are no side effects noted with normal consumption. But do your own research and experiment with what works for you as part of your healthy lifestyle.