Broccoli Tomato Stacks
I have discovered something about myself…….I’m a streaker………not that kind ……….yikes!
I am a food streaker! Seems like I get an ingredient in my mind and I go to extremes in making things with it, until the next ingredient comes along. Kinda food ADD!
So, right now tomatoes are on my radar. The Tomato Cobbler was so good with the cherry tomatoes and goat cheese biscuits……..yummy! But, what about those big tomatoes you have? Why not stack them or better yet, stack on them. As a kid, broccoli was on my eeewww list……you know, curling up your lip, no way is that going in my mouth. Well……as an adult it’s more of an mmmm and can’t wait to pop it in my mouth. The only way I won’t eat it these days is if its over cooked, you know it turns a weird green gray color and falls completely apart, so be careful when cooking.
Cooked to a tender crisp….add a shallot….gives an onion, garlic flavor all in one. Salt and pepper, a pinch of red pepper flake for heat, and gooey swiss cheese. Spoon on top of tomatoes cut in half inch slices, topped with more swiss cheese, pop them in the broiler and ta da, Broccoli Tomato Stacks.
They make a perfect side dish for any kind of meat or fish. They also would be a good vegetarian lunch. So whether for a side dish or as a meal itself, satisfy your food streak with these stacked up beauties.
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 shallot minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Steam or sauté broccoli and shallots with pinch of red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.Cut tomatoes into ½ inch slices, place on paper toweling to drain for about 10 minutes.
- Place tomato slices on a baking sheet lied with parchment paper.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of swiss cheese into the broccoli and shallots.
- Spoon broccoli mixture on top of tomatoes. Top with remaining cheese.
- Broil 4-5 inches from heat for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.