Caramel Apple Burritos
Ahhhh fall………We love this time of year. The air has that edge of coolness, the leaves are starting to show their colors, sweatshirt and sweatpants are ready to be worn, and sweet crunchy apples are ready to picked and enjoyed!
Apples are a fruit that almost everyone loves…….including Tim and I. My assistant at work has a husband who loves to bake pies. He made a pie for Tim and I from ground cherries …….more on those in another post. But, Tim had mentioned an apple pie while we were marveling over the ground cherry pie.
Well, I had no pie crust……it is one of the things I buy instead of make………I am just not good at it, but I did have flour tortillas, and apples, and caramel bits……..Caramel Apple Burritos!
These were really easy to make, and if you use…… cough,cough…………canned pie filling they are even easier. But, with the variety of apples available this time of year you really should make your own filling. Besides, it’s really quite easy and homemade is always better. Maybe I will practice making crust……..
I recently purchased an apple slicer. The thing you put on top the apple and press down……..cores and cuts at the same time…….I love my new toy. For this recipe I did peel the apples first……used my handy dandy new toy, and diced the apples. A little brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and butter, made for a most excellent filling.
I must proclaim my love for the person whose idea it was to sell caramel bits! No unwrapping and trying to cut caramels. It would make caramel apples a breeze. But, for this recipe all I had to do was rip open the package and sprinkle them over that beautiful, luscious, apple filling.
Warm up the tortillas first to make them easier to roll. In the recipe I say to divide the apple mixture among the tortillas. Reason being that size is relative…….to some a large apple is really big…..like a softball, but to someone else it may be a bit smaller, so just divide it ……you don’t want some saying they were jipped.
Now, the cinnamon sugar ………..if you want a crispy sugary crust on anything….. turbinado sugar is your very best friend. It makes a pretty to look at, crispy sweet to eat crust, on these Caramel Apple Burritos.
Last weekend we had a wonderful stay at home, cook, cook, cook, weekend. The Italian Spaghetti and Meatball Burger was out of this world and our dessert of Caramel Apple Burritos……well all I can say is make a trip to your favorite apple orchard and get yourself a bushel of apples, cause you will want to make these again, and again!!!!!
Don’t forget to buy some ice cream…….:)
- 4 large apples
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup water, divided
- 6 large Flour Tortillas
- ½ cup caramel bits
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ⅔ cup turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Peel and dice apples. Toss with lemon juice.
- In a small skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar and ¼ cup water and let cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Stir together cornstarch and remaining ¼ cup water. Add mixture to skillet and continue cooking until most of the liquid is gone and apples are soft.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Melt ¼ cup butter.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 1 minute so they are easier to roll.
- Divide the apple mixture and caramel bits between the tortillas. Roll like you would a burrito, folding in the sides, making a nice package.
- Brush each burrito with butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 15-20 minutes or until tortilla begins to brown.
- Enjoy with ice cream or whipped topping.