Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs
The start of summer is also the start of family reunions, potlucks, cookouts, and picnics. What in the world do you take???? How about Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs!! These little gems are everything that a Bacon Cheeseburger is without the bun.
My brother has a get together every year for family and friends………..he won’t call it a family reunion because he is afraid no one will show up. Probably not true but………just to be safe we just call it The Bocker Bash.
I was under pressure this year to produce something for two reasons, one, last year I purchased my contribution…….thats right, I bought a fruit tray and a veggie tray at the local Wal Mart………I know “not good”. Two, now that everyone knows that I am writing a food blog, it goes without saying that I needed something food blog worthy!
Now, sometimes I over do things……..just a smig. I decided I would make a meat dish, a salad, and a dessert. The meat turned out……..the other two, not so much. I took them all and brought home empty dishes, but the other two recipes need work.
The Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs were a hit. I didn’t even get any at the bash as they were all gone by the time I got through the line.
So, what is in these little buggers you ask. All the the things you put on a bacon cheeseburger………bacon, pickles, ketchup, mustard, and French Fried Onions. I used bread and butter pickles, as they are a favorite but, you can use what ever pickle is the favorite at your house. Then stuff the whole thing with cheddar cheese cubes that melt inside……….yum!
BBQ sauce added the final touch. Feel free to make them without, but if you do you may be missing out! We love Sweet Baby Rays in all flavors, but use whatever kind your family likes best.
The other nice thing about this recipe is that you can make it and take it. I threw the meatballs into a crockpot and off I went. If you will not have electricity at your get-together, place the meatballs in a insulated carrier, or the really old fashioned way…………place your hot food in what ever serving container you want, line a box with newspaper or bath towels, and this will keep your food warm for several hours……….just long enough to show off your culinary skills.
So, next time you need a ‘take along’ dish, try our Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs.Print
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1-2.8 ounce container French Fried Onions
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickles
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon regular yellow mustard
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese cut into 24 cubes
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, your favorite
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Combine ground beef, cooked bacon, eggs, fried onions, pickles, pickle juice, ketchup, and mustard in a large bowl until mixed throughly.
- Shape into meatballs using an ice cream scoop. You should be able to get 24 meatballs. Push one cube of cheese into each meatball, making sure to enclose the cheese inside the meatball. Place meatballs on a parchment cover baking sheet and bake at 375* Bake for 20 -25 minutes. If serving immediately transfer meatball to serving dish. Heat BBQ sauce until heated through and drizzle over meatballs. Alternately you can place the cooked meatballs into a slow cooker, pour BBQ sauce over meatballs and hold until serving time.