Carne Asada Nachos
I have a new toy……I have a new toy …..and you-u don’t……….but you should, if you don’t this thing is AWESOME!!! I am happy dancing………why dancing you may ask……..my new toy helped me make my Carne Asada Nachos!
What is my new toy you ask??? It a Pressure Cooker, thats also a crock pot, and a rice cooker. If it just went to the grocery store, it would be the perfect appliance! LOL …….Oh wait…..it keeps the food warm after the programed cooking time…….it IS the perfect appliance!
Since returning from Vegas and having the carne asada tacos at Hecho En Vegas, I have been dying to try and recreate the carne asada. My new little toy made this a breeze. The flavor is not exactly like Hecho’s but it’s close. My meat was a little more done……first time with the pressure cooker ……..I wasn’t sure how long to cook it,so mine was falling apart, while Hecho’s was chunkier.
Now, what to do with this luscious, juicy,spicy meat……….Carne Asada Nachos……..of course! Nachos need cheese sauce. Neither Tim nor I really like the nacho cheese sauce,so how about queso blanco……hmmmmm. The recipe for the queso sauce couldn’t be easier, one bowl, it cooks in the microwave………one of the best inventions…..ever!! And in five minutes or less……. creamy and cheesy, easy queso blanco sauce.
I would like to be all homemadey but I bought some good restaurant style chips at the store instead of making my own. Hey……it was Sunday afternoon and there were football games that needed to watched……by Tim not me.
Now ,I had a plan…….heat the chips in a cast iron skillet in a 400* oven for about 5-7 minutes, until until they were warm and extra crispy. top with the carne asada, drizzle….ok, ladle the queso sauce on, then top with tomatoes, avocado, green onion, cilantro, jalapeño slices, and a crumble of queso blanco cheese……the amount of toppings you put on these is up to you. OMG….these were fabulous!!!!! Crispy chips, juicy spicy meat, cool toppings……the perfect Carne Asada Nachos.
Since Tim and I have been married, I have a long drive to work, 40 minutes each way…….thank goodness for audio books……..but getting home late does not = time for making dinner and eating before 7 or 8 at night…….not good! But, with my new toy, the process can be sped up greatly. So, if time is of the essence for you too, look for one of these nifty toys for yourself. Looking to make a recipe now………. so I can play with my new toy.
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup beer
- In a skillet over medium high heat sear the flank steak in the coconut oil. Just a quick sear for color.
- Place flank steak and remaining ingredients in a pressure cooker and cook on high for 30-35 minutes following instructions on your pressure cooker. If you do not have a pressure cooker you can use a crockpot. Adjust cooking time to your crockpot.
- Remove meat from cooker and use for tacos,burritos, or nachos.
- 1/2 pound White American Cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno slices, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon juice from the pickled jalapenos
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and stir.Continue microwaving at minute intervals until smooth. Allow to cool slightly and serve as a dip or over your favorite Mexican foods.
Be sure to use white American cheese not white cheddar cheese. The white cheddar will not melt they way that is needed for this sauce.