Need a quick, easy weeknight meal? Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce is just the ticket. Chicken tenders grilled and served with a spicy peanut sauce. Add a side of Sweet and Sour Cucumbers and dinner is ready in 30 minutes.
In my last post, I eluded to how busy the past few weeks have been…..whew!! But it’s Labor Day Weekend and……oh wait I’m still working!
Still, I’m working on things at home. Painting, my number one, fix it fast, way to change any room. Since we moved last year, we have had one room that, well, its just held crap. We all have that room…where we toss the stuff we don’t want to deal with.
Now that room is a nice workout area. Not a fancy gym type room, but we bartered for an exercise bike. We had a nice computer desk and shelving uint and a friend of Tim’s had the bike….even swap! Thanks Mikey!
Tim and I are too old to go work out crazy, but a nice bike, and my yoga mats….perfect to keep in shape…for a couple of old duffers….lol.
Old duffers gotta eat, and with all the craziness time is a problem. Not with Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce, they take 30 minutes including the Sweet and Sour Cucumbers that you really need to serve with them.
Chicken tenders are my best friend. They require no extra prep, and cook quickly, just what you need when time is a factor. For this recipe there is no marinade or rubs, just a simple salt and pepper, with a dash of soy during the last minute of cooking. I used a grill pan, but a skillet or the outdoor grill will work as well.
Now, about this peanut sauce……it’s marvelous! All the ingredients can be put into a small food processor or I use a blender cup. In the recipe it calls to mince the ginger and garlic, but if you are using a blender or processor, you can skip that step,the machine will take care of it for you. And just like that the sauce is ready!
The Sweet and Sour Cucumbers are a take on the traditional, refrigerator, summer time cucumber recipe that we all grew up with. Vinegar, sugar, onions, and cucumbers. Food and Wine had this jazzed up recipe and it was the perfect match for the Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce.
In need of a quick and easy, super delicious dinner…try
Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce, and be sure to make the Sweet and Sour Cucumbers as the side!
- For the Chicken
- 1 pound chicken tenders put on wooden skewers
- Salt, pepper and soy sauce to taste
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Cilantro for garnish optional
- For the Sauce
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Spray the chicken skewers with non stick cooking spray ( I use coconut oil spray) and season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Grill the chicken skewers until cooked through, about 7-8 minutes. Drizzle with soy sauce and grill for another minute.
- While the chicken is cooking, Place all sauce ingredients together in a small food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add more coconut milk if the sauce seems too thick.
- Serve the chicken skewers with the peanut sauce.
- 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced thinly into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 small thin cucumbers
- 1 shallot
- Slice the cucumbers and shallot into very thin slices (a mandoline makes quick work).
- Add sliced cucumber, shallot and ginger to a quart jar or place in a medium size bowl.
- In a smaller bowl or jar, whisk the rice vinegar, sugar, salt and chile flakes together until the sugar has dissolved and pour over the cucumbers, tossing lightly to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.