Chocolate Chip Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls
Once again I tried something and it did not go as planned…….but, this time the result was marvelous !!!!
I saw in a Huffington Post blurb, a story about 2014 food trends. One of the items was from a blog called Dude Foods. On the blog Nick, who writes the blog, used canned cinnamon rolls and chocolate chip cookie dough to make these stuffed cinnamon rolls. In his recipe you unroll the cinnamon roll , roll out cookie dough to the same length and cut into strips. You then re-roll the cinnamon roll with the cookie dough inside and bake. Sounds easy right?
Well, leave it to me to buy the wrong kind of cinnamon rolls. I bought just the regular one that I think are biscuits with cinnamon topping. No way to unwrap them……..so, instead of scrapping the whole idea, since the chocolate chip cookie dough was in small squares (I bought the ready, already ones) , I figured I could make the cinnamon roll into a cup, put the cookie dough inside and bake…….it worked great. It was also a little easier to make the cup and just set the cookie dough inside as apposed to rolling out the dough…….sorry Nick!
So, I had set aside the icing, since I like a nice visual……..we are all into “food porn” at our house….lol. I put the icing into a plastic bag, cut the tip off,and made a nice little crosshatch pattern. You can just as easily ice them like you would a regular cinnamon roll.
They were really yummy. Tim and I had them with some ice cream for dessert…….because after all, isn’t dessert the whole point of a meal????
But, these would also be great for anytime you need a last minute treat. They took minutes to prepare, and about 15 minutes to bake.
So, they next time you need a quick to fix, take along treat, that requires only 2 ingredients………..try these Chocolate Chip Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls.
- 1-12.4oz package Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls “Cinnabon” with icing (just the regular size not the
- 1-16½ oz. package Toll House Chocolate Chip cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Remove cinnamon roll (reserve the frosting cup that comes with the cinnamon rolls)and from their packages. Remove chocolate chip cookies from their package(you will have left over cookie dough).
- Form each cinnamon roll into a cup shape and place 1 piece of cookie dough in each cinnamon roll cup. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Drizzle the frosting from the cinnamon roll package over the stuffed cinnamon rolls. Enjoy!