Chinese food……who can resist??? Not me! Mix two popular dishes together …….magic!
No Chinese meal is complete without egg rolls they are the quintessential Chinese takeout food, Thin and crispy on the outside, stuffed with a mixture of chopped vegetables and often meat and then usually fried.
But what if we turned it inside out? Baked instead of fried? Vegetarian instead of meat?
Egg roll cups filled with chow mien filling…Chow Mein Egg Roll Cups…me likey!
The cups were super easy. Turn large muffin pan upside down ……kinda like this whole dish…..lol.
Spray the tins with nonstick spray. Place the wrapper over the inverted tin. I made 4 on a 6 muffin tin. I didn’t think they should be crowded, I thought it would make them brown unevenly. I sprayed them again with spray to aid in the browning process. 400* for about 10 minutes……perfection.
I left them on the tins until I was ready to use them. See, I am not always the most graceful gal, and I was sure I would knock them over, or crush them……you get the picture…….or maybe you wouldn’t have if I had forked them up.
The filling was fairly traditional except…….spaghetti squash……yep! I added roasted spaghetti squash. It gave the dish a Lo Mein touch. A dish I also like….because….noodles, and the spaghetti squash is noodle-ish.
Garlic, green and regular onions, water chestnuts, snow peas, shiitake mushrooms, and my cheat item……..Dole Sesame Asian Salad Kit. Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Romaine, Kale, Carrots, Green Onions, along with Wontons and Almonds, DOLE Toasted Sesame & Ginger Vinaigrette. I kept the wontons and almonds and the dressing for another time and used the salad mix with the rest of my veggies and stuff.
Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, and a touch of white wine for a yummy sauce.
Stir fry all the veggies, add the sauce, with a touch of a cornstarch slurry to thicken.
Pile high in your crispy egg roll cups, and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
Chow Mein Egg Roll Cups …….better than take out,………cause……. you stay in!!!!!!Print
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- Chow Mein
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, slivered
- 1 cup snow peas, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bag Dole Sesame Asian Salad Kit, remove dressing packet and topping, reserve for another use.
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 cups spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water.
- Egg Roll Cups
- 4 egg roll wrappers
- non-stick cooking spray
- For egg roll cups using a large muffin tin, invert the tin and spray with non stick cooking spray place egg roll wrapper over cup. Spray egg roll wrappers with nonstick spray. Place in 400* oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients until well mixed. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok (or skillet) over medium/high heat. Add peanut and sesame oil.
- When oil is hot add in onions, water chestnuts, snow peas, and mushrooms, Cook and stir until mushrooms soften, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the salad mix and bean sprouts.
- Cook and stir until well mixed in and cabbage has started to wilt – another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the shredded spaghetti squash, sauce and cornstarch mixture.
- Stir very well – until sauce coats everything evenly and squash is heated through.
- Heap mixture in egg roll cups. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.