No matter how un-fall like this sounds…..I do not like Apple Cider. This time of year is all about apple cider donuts……well, how about Cinnamon Apple Donuts instead.
I was just sitting on the computer…..well not really sitting on it…..that would be a problem,….sitting at it, when I really wanted a donut!!
I used to work, as I have told before, in a grocery store bakery. While I was not the donut maker, a lovely woman named Charlene was. All her donuts were made from scratch and were the best donuts I have ever had!
I loved her donuts, but after about a year of working in the bakery, I was over almost anything thing from a bakery. I would go to birthday parties and be asked if I wanted a piece of cake……out loud…..”no thank you”………In my head…….”are you kidding?”
But is has been years, and my taste for the sweet, bakery items has returned…..with a vengeance! Especially donuts!!
So, I have the sweet, the savory, and now the fruity. Apples are the fruit of the season, plus I had some at the house……how convenient.
I was going to take the safe way out and chop the apple. Make a basic donut batter, and call it a day. But, you guys deserve a much better effort!!
Cinnamon Apple Donuts…which, are by the way are baked. The batter from the donuts is pretty basic, with the exception of frozen apple juice concentrate. I thought it would give a little extra apple bite…..and it did.
The star of the show though really is the cinnamon topping… a thick buttery, cinnammony, brown sugary concoction…topped with thinly sliced apples. Donut batter on top……bake.
The only tricky part to this recipe is flipping the donuts out of the pan. A breeze if you spray the donut pan…….if you don’t have a donut pan…….GET ONE!!!!!!
I, being the seasoned self-proclaimed chef and food blogger, forgot to spray the pan……YIKES!!!! It was a tense moment but all was well as my donut pan is non- stick, and the nonstickness worked….YEAH!!!!!
Just a quick drizzle of a basic powdered sugar glaze and you have Cinnamon Apple Donuts, still warm,and loaded with apple cinnamon flavor……..enjoy some……this morning!!!!!!
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons apple juice frozen concentrate
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons vegetable or canoloa oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ apple, cored and sliced thinly
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- To make topping:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the cinnamon, brown sugar, milk, and cornstarch. Heat just until it begins to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the cinnamon topping evenly into each well of your well greased donut pan. About 1 tablespoon for each donut rings. Place slice apple over topping.
- To make the donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the half and half egg, apple juice concentrate and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to mix well.
- Place batter into a ziplock bag, then cutting off one corner, pipe the batter over the apples in donut pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Run a knife around the edge of each donut then flip donuts out of donut pan onto a wire rack.
- Cool donuts before glazing.
- To make the glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and half and half until smooth. Spoon into a ziploc bag, cut off a small corner of the bag and pipe the glaze onto the donuts.