Corned Beef Tacos
St. Patricks Day………or the Feast of Saint Patrick……..how fitting for a food blog.
Back in the day St. Patricks day meant green beer and partying. Corned Beef and Cabbage and partying. Wearing green and partying. Well time changes everything. Now it’s still corned beef……..I might wear green,although it is not my favorite color in clothing…………..but, the partying and green beer are gone!
Well, maybe I am wrong about the partying because, these Corned Beef Tacos are a party for your mouth! Cooking the corned beef was easy peasy in the crock pot. I used the spice packet from the corned beef and covered it with Guiness Stout.
A slaw recipe ……cabbage, sounded right and has just the right amount of spice in the dressing. I saw a recipe for the Mustard Seed Salsa I thought ……hmmmm. But It really is just the right condiment for the corned beef. Boiling the whole mustard seed softens it to just burst in your mouth. Green chiles add the zing, and when you combine it all together…………… the Corned Beef Taco is born.
I hope you will try this taco twist on the traditional corned beef St Patricks Day fare……….and maybe wear some green!
- For Tacos:
- Prepared Corned Beef
- 8 -6” corn tortillas
- Mustard Seed Salsa
- For Corned Beef:
- 2 pound package of corned beef with the picking spice packet
- Guiness Stout (enough to cover the corned beef, I used 3 cans)
- 1 package ready to use cole slaw mix
- ½ small red onion sliced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- Mustard Seed Salsa:
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion, diced
- ¼ cup water
- 6 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon green chilies
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the Corned Beef: Place corned beef in crock pot. Sprinkle the space packet over the meat. Pour in enough beer to cover the meat.
- For the Curtido: Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and combine. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate until serving.
- For Salsa: sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Allow to cool. Place water and mustard seed in a small non stick saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat to low and simmer 10-12 minutes. Place in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cool water. Allow to drain. Place mustard seeds, sautéed onions, green chilies, vinegar, garlic, and salt in a small bowl. mix throughly. Sore in a non-reactive container in the refrigerator until serving.
- To Assemble Tacos:
- Heat tortillas. You can microwave them, heat them on a skillet, or fry them.
- Place 1½ - 2oz of corned beef on each tortilla, top with curtido, and mustard seed salsa.