Need a quick grab and go breakfast treat? Cranberry Pistachio Breakfast Cookies are just the ticket!
I am always looking for a quick and easy grab and go breakfast. Granola bars are great, but I want to know …….and be able to pronounce the things that are in my food.
I know this is odd, but I do not like cooked oatmeal, I love how it smells….must be a texture thing. But, I love it in a baked item. Weird right?
Oatmeal is good for you and can help reduce cholesterol, can help stabilize blood sugar, and may reduce the risk of heart problems when combined with a heart healthy diet. Plus in these cookies it tastes awesome.
While I admit the other items in the cookie may not be the lowest in fat or sugar, they all have certain benefits.
Pistachios…my new favorite nut, as I eluded to in the Pistachio Pudding Bundt Cake post earlier this week…..are cholesterol free, sodium free and lower in fat than other nuts. They have potassium, and fiber. Adding pistachios to carb rich food such as rice and pasta may have a glucose and insulin lovering effect.
Everyone know the benefits of bananas, plus they can replace fat in baking so, double score for the banana.
I know, I know, dried cranberries have sugar, but buy the low sugar variety and keep your consumption at a reasonable amount and it’s all good!
Same goes for coconut. It is enjoying its day in the sun, but as it is high in fat content be mindful of its consumption.
Mixing the cookies was easy. ai used a ring for a mason jar as a mold to ensure that all the cookie were round and of the same size.
Another thing I discovered is that the longer these cookies set the better they taste, the flavor just sorta blend to gather and complement each other.
For this recipe I used as much organic as I could find to increase the benefit. The combo of all the ingredients gives a fiber filled, cookie that keep your sugar level even and a boost of energy to last you for the morning, until that mid morning snack, which could be another Cranberry Pistachio Breakfast Cookie!
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups coarsely chopped Pistachios
- ½ cup dried Cranberries
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup coconut oil, warm enough to be liquid
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine oats, coconut, Chia, salt, pistachios, and Cranberries. Stir in bananas, oil, honey and vanilla until well combined.
- Press 2 tablespoons of mixture into a 2½-inch round cookie cutter onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Continue with remaining mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Cool on pan.