Easy White Bean Soup
Easy White Bean Soup is the perfect soup for the chilly fall days that are here to stay. It’s perfect also, because it’s quick,easy, and delicious!
I don’t know about anyone else, but the time change did not make me feel like I got an extra hour of anything…….and it’s dark at 5 o’clock …….yuck! When it gets dark so early, I just want to go home and go to bed, so any meal that comes together fast and tastes really good……I’m all about it!
I wanted to make bean soup from some beans that we had soaked, but funny thing about beans …….you can’t let them soak to long(24 hours or less)……or they get real funky! So, new plan for the soup, canned beans, I had those. I found a new quick helper that I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread ……..that might be a slight exaggeration, but it’s really good stuff.
Swanson makes a Cream Starter, and it comes in reduced fat…….no really it does. I had picked it up thinking I would use it for something, now was the time.
I diced up some onions,red pepper and garlic, sautéed it in some coconut oil, added fire roasted green chilies,cumin,red pepper flakes, a couple of cans of beans, and some left over chicken. I poured in the cream starter and a bit of chicken broth, let it simmer for about 5 minutes, and soup was on!
We topped it with some shredded cheese and cilantro ………it warms you right down to your tummy…….which in turn is very happy!
Just a side note the cream starter reheats very well also, so you can make the soup ahead and reheat it without a problem.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped fire roasted diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans northern beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken ( I used rotisseri chicken from the deli)
- 1 cup chicken both
- 1-26oz container Swanson cream starter, reduced fat
- Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican Blend Cheese and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and red pepper, sauté until tender. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, red pepper flakes, and sauté 2 minutes. Add beans, chicken, and broth and bring to a boil. Stir in cream starter and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with cheese and cilantro and serve.