Perhaps I need a trip to the islands????? I have tropical theme going as of late…….our Spicy Tropical Burger was a pineapple explosion of goodness…….but as always, any good meal needs a equally good dessert.
How about bead pudding? I have only made bread pudding one other time and it was all chocolate and nuts, and super duper yummy.
Hawaiian Bread Pudding is lighter, sweeter, tropicalier.
Any bread pudding is only as good as it’s bread……Kings Hawaiian rolls are delicious all by themselves, but add some eggs and coconut milk and they are the perfect bread for Hawaiian Bread Pudding.
Coconut milk is pristine white in color, rich, with a creamy taste and just the essence of coconut.
Do not confuse coconut milk with sweetened cream of coconut which is used for mixed drinks…..Pina Coladas and other tropical favs.
Coconut milks creaminess was perfect for bread pudding. Add a bit of sugar, some eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and a touch of nutmeg……..hmmm, hmmm.
I’m sure I could have just tossed some macadamia nut on top……..but yawl know me better…..that sounded southern..he he:) Anyhow…….this needed a beautiful, crunchy, sweet topping…..done!
Some brown sugar, flour, macadamia nuts, dried pineapple, and coconut mixed with a touch of butter. Perfect topper.
Into the oven for about 45 minutes and It comes out puffy, golden, and begging for ice cream or whipped topping……go with the ice cream….just saying!
Have a tropical treat with Hawaiian Bread Pudding….and ice cream!!!
- 1 (12 pack) Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup macadamia nut, chopped
- ½ cup dried pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup coconut, toasted flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 8 x 8 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Cut rolls into chunks.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, sugar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla. Beat with until eggs are completely beaten.
- Pour over bread pudding down on any bread pieces not soaked in egg mixture.
- Place brown sugar and flour in a medium bowl and mix. Add macadamia nuts, pineapple, and coconut. Pour melted butter over top and mix well.
- Sprinkle topping over bread/egg mixture.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until custard is set. If topping is browning to quickly cover lightly with tin foil.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.