Italian Sausage Caprese Salad
I can say with all confidence that Spring is here, and Summer is on the way. Having said that, salads come to mind………..Italian Sausage Caprese Salad!
“Caprese” refers to something that comes from or is in the style of Capri, an Italian island off the coast near Naples………so it really means Italian.
It really is a delicious salad, fresh baby greens, with mozzarella cheese……….I love that they have the little tiny mozzarella balls called ‘Bocconcini’, they are so easy to use, just drain they, pat them dry and they are ready for the salad. I love fresh mozzarella, but to be truthful, it’s kind of a pain to slice……..and I have a cheese knife! But, lucky we live in the kind of world where everything has an easier way.
Tomatoes and basil, along with a Balsamic Dressing make for a lovely salad. Enter the Italian Sausage……….Italian Chicken Sausage to be exact. Johnsonville makes some great chicken sausages. They are precooked so you just have to grill and warm them up. They were perfect for a salad that usually does not have meat. Adding the meat makes it a hearty meal.
Now, lets talk about how easy this is to prepare. Pre-washed greens, mozzarella balls (I already talked of their ease), grape tomatoes, a quick cut in half, basil, just a little chop or tear, and a quick grill of the sausage. A balsamic dressing that comes together in a snap, especially using a mini food processor, all the ingredients, a quick whirl, and you are ready.
This would make a great weeknight salad, since it comes together so quickly, or a nice light meal after a day of……….gardening, or what ever your weekend pleasures are.
So, enjoy the Italian Sausage Caprese Salad………..Buon Appetito!
- 3 cups washed baby greens, any kind
- ½ pound Baby mozzarella balls (Bocconcini), drained
- ½ pound grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 large basil leaves, chopped
- 2 grilled Italian Chicken Sausage
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 clove garlic, grated
- 1tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Grill Italian Sausage until warmed through and you have nice grill marks.
- Allow to cool slightly and slice on the diagonal. Set aside.
- Measure all ingredients for dressing into small jar with tight fitting lid. Shake and drizzle over salad. Serve immediately.
- Divide the greens,mozzarella balls, tomatoes between two plates. (you can also place everything on a nice platter). Place the grilled, sliced sausage on top and sprinkle with basil. Serve with dressing and cracked black pepper.