Italian Tortellini Soup with Chicken Sausage
Quick and easy…….easy and quick……..healthy-ish. That is what Italian Tortellini Soup with Chicken Sausage is…….plus all kinds of yummy!!!!!
Sometimes, time is of the essence…….or if you are like me………I’m just damn lazy sometimes! I know eating out is always an option, but truth be told, I would rather cook then get all ready to go out in public.
News Flash……..I am a gobber ! At home…..I’m a bona fide sweatpant, white muscle shirt,sports bra, no makeup, hair in a clip, girl gobber. In my early twenties, I lived to dress up. I never left the house without makeup, hair done……..I mean for Gods sake, someone might see me!!!!
Well……..I’m over most of that. I’m still not crazy about going with out at least a bit of make up, and looking presentable. So, that’s why I would rather cook than go out and have to give up my gobber girl look. Besides……. easy or difficult I do love to cook.
After having the past few weeks go by in what seems to be a flash………Vegas……sick…….back to work….. still not feeling totally great……..I was ready for a easy quick recipe.
This recipes origin was from one of those supermarket cash register cookbooks, you know the ones at the checkout that beg to be bought while you are standing in line. The original recipe had Italian sausage, but in an effort to be healthy- ish and easy, I bought the Johnsonville chicken sausages…….3 cheese Italian. If you have never tried these, do! They are awesome and come in other flavors. Lower in fat and calories than regular sausage……..bonus…….they are pre cooked.
This is a really basic soup recipe, although it’s a little thicker than soup, not quite a stew. The ingredients are stuff you may just have in your pantry/cupboard already…….notice I added cupboard……..I only wish I had a pantry, and to those of you who do……lucky you!
Just your regular Italian spices, basil, oregano, fennel seeds, a pinch of red pepper flakes, some onion and garlic, add the sausage…….a couple of kinds of tomato, chicken broth to thin it out, simmer for 10 minutes,add the tortellini cook until al dente and oh la la……wait….that’s French, oh well it’s tasty is what it is.
Some fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese to top it off and serve with some garlic bread sticks or your favorite Italian bread.
It yummy, hearty, healthy-ish, warm, and best of all……. easy!Print
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil,dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed,crushed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 -12 oz. package Johnsonville 3 Cheese Italian Style Chicken Sausage,sliced
- 1-9 oz. package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley,chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onion,basil,oregano,fennel seed, red pepper flakes,and garlic until onions are wilted and starting to turn translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add sliced sausage and heat through. Add both tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.stir in parsley. Serve with Parmesan cheese.