Salmon Sriracha Tacos
If we can put it on a pizza… we can put it in a taco…….
Sriracha Salmon Tacos………spicy Sriracha baked salmon in a crispy corn tortilla, then topped with cilantro slaw and avocado crema (fancy uh).
We love fish, but haven’t had it in quite some time. I think salmon is the best…….I usually just bake it and I make a mean cucumber dill sauce to go with it. (that recipe will be for another time). I wanted to do something different.
If you need inspiration for anything, food, crafts, landscaping, home decor, fashion…….and on and on…….hop on over to Pinterest…..follow us while you are there. If you can’t find it there…..it don’t exist!!!!
I troll Pinterest a lot, and it can be a huge time suck….you go to get inspiration for one thing, and the next thing you know, a couple of hours have gone by and you are looking at short hair cuts instead of ideas for taco recipe inspiration….true story! I did get some ideas before I ventured off the beaten path.
Tim thinks Sriracha sauce is ketchup…….he puts it on everything. It’s that whole spice thing for him. But I learned a few things about Sriracha: here comes the lesson……
Sriracha is hot sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt…this I knew. It is named after the coastal city of Si Racha, in Chonburi Province of eastern Thailand…this I did not know.
The name “Sriracha” is considered to be a generic term, since the creator of the Huy Fong Foods sauce, David Tran, did not trademark it……not good!!!
The Scoville scale……… it measurements the heat of chili peppers or other spicy foods as reported in Scoville heat units …….capsaicin concentration. The scale is named after its creator, American pharmacist Wilbur Scoville. His method, devised in 1912, is known as the Scoville Organoleptic Test.
Sriracha sauce = Medium…….Lesson over!
For all that Tim likes spicy, I like sweet so, how about both??
I found a really nice piece of salmon at the grocery store…yeah Kroger! I was going to do my usual, and bake it but, try a different sauce or topping. I still had cabbage left, a big head of cabbage, two people …..you do the math. Anyway, I wanted to incorporate a few things, the cabbage, sriracha, avocado.
I have been on an avocado bender this past week…..I find it to be the perfect breakfast …….Avocado Toast! I think I have had it everyday for breakfast ……back to smoothies tomorrow… Spring Break is over 🙁
I was going to just drizzle the Sriracha over the fish, but thought better of it, figuring it would be a bit much? Brown sugar would tone it down, and you need citrus with fish ….I had limes. Mix them all together, with some green onions and a little salt and pepper…..Sriracha Salmon.
This recipe for the salmon would be a good entree with your favorite salad or veggies and maybe some rice.
Since we both thought the slaw I made for the Pulled Pork Pizza was yummy, I decided to make a slaw for a side dish with an avocado dressing. I was in the frig getting some stuff out and my eye spied….corn tortillas……tacos, of course.
The salmon, topped with a slaw and avocado dressing, oh better yet and certainly more fancy….crema!
Sriracha Salmon Tacos……. these were, tasty beyond words. The salmon was spicy sweet, the slaw was citrus vinegary, and the avocado was cool and creamy. All these beautiful things in a crispy tortilla shell…….Sriracha perfection!!!
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 recipe Sriracha Salmon
- 1 recipe Cilantro Slaw
- 1 recipe Avocado Crema
- 1 pound salmon filet
- Juice and zest of a lime
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha ( more if you like it really spicy)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Cilantro Slaw:
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, rough chop
- ⅛ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 green onions sliced
- Avocado Crema:
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons, lemon juice
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- To assemble tacos:
- To assemble taco. Cook the corn tortillas in a small amount of oil ( I like to spray them with non stick spray and cook them in a hot cast iron skillet) until desired crispness.
- Fill each tortilla with salmon, slaw and top with avocado crema. Serve with additional Sriracha sauce if desired.
- Preheat oven ot 425*
- Place salmon on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Mix remaining in gradients in a small bowl. Pour over salmon.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove from the oven. Flake and set aside.
- Cabbage Slaw
- Place cabbage, cilantro, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Whisk together lime and lemon juice with olive oil, mustard and coriander seeds.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and set aside.
- Avocado Crema
- Slice avocado in half, remove pit and scoop out the flesh into a blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary to get a smooth consistency.