As promised……. a “Date Night Dinner” recipe……..Spicy Honey Chicken………..now we had this on a non traditional date night…..Wednesday…….but any night can be a date night if you are with the right person. (check back every Thursday for a new Date Night recipe).
In our house spice is the spice of life, let me explain. Years ago my husband was in a horrific car accident. It truly is a miracle that he is alive today. Although afterwards he totally lost his scene of smell. He can’t smell a thing……I mean nothing. Now I must admit it has it pluses and minuses. Plus……..well any unpleasantness that may emit from me ( ok even though we are all adults here farts are still funny). Minus…….. when I cook he cannot smell how great somethings are and when I make something that really smells great I wish he could. For most people who cannot smell they cannot taste. Not so with Tim. But there is a small catch his sense of taste is diminished so we eat spicy foods a lot. One of his favorite “condiments” is Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. For those unfamiliar with Sriracha it is made from sun ripened chilies then blend with sugar, garlic and vinegar.
- 1½ - 2 lbs pounds chicken breast, thighs, or wings
- Marinade –
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable/any neutral flavor oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 3-4 stalks of scallions, chopped (optional)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- Lime wedges, serve on side
- Wash and thoroughly dry the chicken pieces using a paper towel.
- In a large non-reactive bowl add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well till they are well combined. Place the chicken pieces and marinade in a plastic storage bag toss to coat chicken with the marinade. Let the chicken marinate for minimum 30-45minutes at room temperature or in refrigerator overnight. Toss the chicken at-least once while marinating.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a baking-dish just large enough to hold the chicken place the marinated chicken pieces in a single layer along with all the marinade. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick, 40-55minutes. Flip the chicken 1-2 times while baking to ensure even baking.
- Once done take out the chicken on serving platter, sprinkle with topping and serve immediately.
Now I do not always favor the hot spicy so why not add something sweet…..honey. I also love that soy, garlic, ginger taste so I blended all of those to make a marinade. Now if it was not well below zero grilling would be an option but since there was no way!!! either of us would stand outside in this weather, the oven it was. I did broil the chicken for the last few minutes for color. It came out great….. not only was it tender and juicy but it looks really pretty. Serve with Coconut Cilantro Lime Rice.Your date will think you slaved but its really simple. I hope you and your Spicy Honey enjoy!