Spicy, shrimpy, veggie goodness….Spicy Shrimp Veggie Tostadas.
Bounties from gardens are beginning to appear. Although Tim and I do not have a garden this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy garden goodness. Local markets and roadside stands have a bounty of fresh veggies just waiting to be enjoyed.
Spicy Shrimp Veggie Tostada lets you enjoy those veggies along with the deliciousness of spiced up shrimp.
A few things in the food world have my attention lately. First, mini or street tortilla shells. I love their size…not too big, not too little…….just right, and they come in both corn and flour.
Second, smoked paprika. If you want to lend a smoky flavor to ….well anything, add a touch of smoked paprika. To make the flavor more pronounced use in dishes that will be heated as this brings out more of the flavor.
I marinaded the shrimp in a mixture of cumin, smoked paprika, and red pepper for heat. Sautéed in avocado oil…another new fav, the smoky flavor of the shrimp was delish! Avocado oil has a unusually high smoke point, great for things that need a quick cook over high heat……like shrimp.
Red onion, fresh corn straight from the cob, zucchini, and red pepper are a perfect veggie combo. Cook them in the same pan as you did the shrimp so they pick up all the flavor from the spicy shrimp. Toss in salsa verde. Salsa Verde which means “green sauce” is a tomatillo based sauce popular in Mexican cuisine. Tim loves it!!
Mini corn tortillas are baked to crisp them up. You can fry them in oil also, but baking will keep the calories down. Top the crisped tortillas with the veggie mixture, shrimp and Monterey Jack cheese. Under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Monterey Jack cheese originated in the Monterey Region of California. Made by friars, and American entrepreneur named David Jack began selling the cheese all over California and it became know as Jack Cheese. Jack cheese is used in Mexican and Spanish cooking. With a mild flavor, and the ease with which it melts, makes it perfect for Spicy Shrimp Veggie Tostadas.
A quick and easy summer time meal, using fresh seasonal veggies and succulent shrimp, Spicy Shrimp Veggie Tostadas is a perfect Summer time meal.
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces peeled, deveined extra large shrimp (26-30 count)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup salsa verde
- Cooking Spray
- 8 mini corn tortillas
- 1½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl mix together 2 tablespoons avocado oil, cumin, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and coat with mixture. Marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add shrimp. Cook the shrimp, stirring frequently, until the flesh is totally pink and opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, corn, red pepper, and zucchini to pan; sauté for 2 minutes until veggies are tender crisp. Stir in the salsa verde and cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Broil 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Divide the veggie mixture equally on tortillas; sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Top with 3 shrimp each*See Notes.
- Sprinkle with an additional tablespoon of cheese. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro.