It's only fair to share...
Memorial day is right around the corner……OMG…… what to take along?…. Vanilla Rum Bundt Cake!
I think bundt cakes are the bomb! I have made numerous bundt cakes for What the Forks For Dinner? Look around the site and try them all……
What makes them so great?? Well…..they are easy to make, easy to bake, they either need no frosting, or are good to go with a quick glaze.
With Memorial Day comes the start of summer. And the start of summer is the start of cookouts, potluck, and picnics. No matter the occasion, everyone wants dessert…..be the dessert Queen……..or King and bring a bundt cake.
Vanilla Rum Bundt cake is perfect to take to your Memorial Day party, picnic, cookout……
Moist cake studded with flecks of vanilla bean, and flavored with rum. I used white rum but you could try a flavored rum for that extra kick.
There’s a pretty steep price difference between vanilla extract and a whole vanilla bean — pod and all. In many cases where vanilla is called for, opting for the less expensive of the two is a wise choice. Vanilla beans would be wasted say in a batch of chocolate chip cookies, but in homemade ice cream, real vanilla beans make a world of difference.
But, here are times that the pretty black specs and flavor of vanilla beans are worth the splurge…….like Vanilla Rum Bundt Cake.
Vanilla beans also makes for a pretty Buttered Rum Glaze. Rich creamy butter, flavored with rum and those little specs of vanilla bean are melted together and then cooled. Add some powdered sugar and you have a glaze thats not only pretty, but super yummy!
For your next summer event, take along Vanilla Rum Bundt Cake and be speck-tacular!!
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 1 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scrapped out
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In another small bowl combine milk and rum.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape out seeds from vanilla bean. Stir vanilla seeds into milk mixture; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer or stand mixer on medium to high speed beat butter for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, and beat for about 10 minutes , until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg yolk; beat for 1 minute.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, on low speed just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for about 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Frost with Buttered Rum Glaze
- To Make Glaze
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add the rum, vanilla, and scrapping from vanilla bean. Cook over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the buttered rum from the heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. Once cooled, whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.