For those of certain faiths the lenten season is here, and that means fish. Spicy Sriracha Crusted Fish Sandwich.
I am not Catholic so, I was wondering why fish on Friday for lent? According to mental_floss, Legend has it that, centuries ago, a medieval pope with connections to Europe’s fishing business banned red meat on Fridays to give the industry a boost. That story isn’t true. Sunday school teachers have a more theological answer: Jesus fasted for 40 days and died on a Friday. Catholics honor both occasions by making a small sacrifice: avoiding animal flesh one day out of the week.
So, to those who, for religious reasons, eat fish on Friday…….Spicy Sriracha Crusted Fish Sandwich to spice up a traditional fish sandwich. Continue reading “Spicy Sriracha Crusted Fish Sandwich”
Burgers are normally a cookout item. Want to get fancy smancy? Chicken Piccata Burger.
I think chicken piccata is a wonderfully delicious dish. Why couldn’t it be a burger? No reason I can think of!
I have many ground chicken recipes on What the Forks for Dinner? Check some of them out. We have a recipe index, so look around!
Ground beef is always perfect for a burger, but sometimes you want to shake it up or make it a little more upscale…….well as upscale as a burger can be…….
So, Chicken Piccata Burger is born. Ground chicken with cappers, and parsley. Shaped into patties and then given the one…two….three treatment.
Flour, egg, and panko crumbs. Set up a dipping station using three shallow bowls, and the afore mentioned ingredients. Dipping the chicken burger and cooking until golden brown and crunchy.
Herb Lemon Butter makes this dish. A compound butter with fresh herbs, lemon, salt, and pepper. If you have never used compound butter before, try it……its a wonderful topper to steaks, or burger, and makes corn on the cob a taste delight.
A dollop of the butter on top of the burger, with leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes on a ciabatta bun. Piccata perfect.
Next time you want to switch up a burger, try Chicken Piccata Burger.
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 -2 cups panko crumbs
- 6 Ciabatta buns
- Lemon Herb Butter (see recipe)
- Leaf lettuce, tomato for garnish
- Combine ground chicken, capers, and parsley until combine, do not over mix.
- Form into 6 patties.
- Set up a dipping station with flour, egg, and panko crumbs in shallow dishes.
- Heat enough oil in a large skillet to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot ,dip each patty into, flour, then the egg, then panko crumbs. Place in hot oil and cook until golden brown and cooked through, turning often.
- To serve, put lettuce and tomato, and chicken burger on the bottom of the ciabatta bun. Place a slice of the Herb Lemon butter on top and allow to melt slightly. Place top on bun and enjoy.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste. Scoop it all onto the parchment paper and roll the form a cylinder then twist the ends closed. Refrigerate until the butter is firm. May be frozen to use later.
White Bean Bruschetta Burger
First it was Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then New Years, Super Bowl Sunday, and Valentines Day……whewwww…………can you say food coma.
I am ready to give my body a break. Working as a Food Service Director for a school district, my focus daily is on nutritious, healthy meals…….at school I have that down pat! At home, I do not practice what I preach, but I am going to give it a whirl. I will never be a vegetarian, or even a total health nut. I enjoy food to much to never have a brownie or a deep fried…….well a deep fried anything again………but I do want to try to make better choices on a regular basis. Biggest problem with that……TASTE. I will not eat sticks and grass….or things that taste like it in the name of healthy eating.
But, give me something tasty that’s good for you ……I’m there! At work I receive tons of recipes from all sources and it gives me inspiration for many of my recipes. Tim is a huge bean fan, me not so much, but I am willing to try new things. So when I saw a bean burger recipe I thought……. maybe????
So, I have always liked a pasta with white beans, rosemary, and tomatoes. Throw in some basil and parmesan cheese, add some garlic bread…….it’s dinner time. So, how to healthy it up? How about a bean burger, they make them from black beans all the time, so why not white beans, a little rosemary, a toasty ciabatta bun (whole grain), just a touch of mayo (lite), and a tasty topping of bruschetta ( one of my personal favorite things). While I confess it is not the same as the pasta, it was really good. I feel like I have made progress………..
- 1-15oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-15oz can Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls, split and toasted
- Red Onion slices and leaf lettuce
- Basil Mayo – see recipe
- Bruschetta – see recipe
- In a food processor, combine both beans, garlic, rosemary, and panko crumbs. Pulse until smooth. Add egg and pulse until combined. (If you do not have a food processor you can mash the beans with a potato masher or forks and add remaining ingredients.) Shape into 4 burgers.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook burgers until they are heated through, about 4 minutes per side until golden brown. They should reach an internal temperature of 145*.
- To assemble burgers, spread bottom of each bun with 2 teaspoons of the basil mayo. Place the burger on top of the mayo, add lettuce and onion slice, top with the bruschetta mixture and top of bun.
Keywords: garbanzo beans, northern beans, garlic, rosemary, panko crumbs, tomato, onion, burger, vegetarian
- 1/4 cup mayo ( I prefer Miracle Whip)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- Combine all ingredients. Let set to blend flavors. Refrigerate any unused portions.
- 4 small roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons basil, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Combine all ingredients. Keep at room temperature until serving.Refrigerate any unused portions.