Cool blustery days……I need soup……..French Bread Tomato Soup
Once fall has reared it’s beautiful albeit it chilly head, I want comfort food… casseroles, chili, stews and of course soup.
When I was a kid, tomato soup and grilled cheese was a fall and winter fav. Of course it was canned soup and white bread, and single sliced cheese. Over the years I have jazzed up my tomato soup collection and Tomato French Bread Soup is my latest addition.
Once again I have turned to my pressure cooker. I know I am repeating myself …….but really…….get one of these. If you are a busy family this is just your ticket for quick and tasty meals.
This soup is a veggie tomato soup, loaded with carrots, onions, red pepper, celery, and garlic. Chicken stock, tomato juice, canned tomatoes, a touch of lemon juice, sugar, and cayenne to your heat preference, then into pressure cooker for 15 minutes.
What makes this soup special are the french bread dumplings…….who knew you could cook bread in the pressure cooker????
Using Pillsbury’s Simply Rustic French Bread loaf, I cut it into 6 pieces, and tossed it with some spices, parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
After the soup had cooked for 15 minutes, I dropped the “dumplings” on top and cooked for another 6 minutes or so……..and ta da………Tomato French Bread Soup.
Kinda like chicken and dumplings …….only its Tomato Soup and dumplings. Warm and comforting. Perfect for a chilly night!!
I also included directions for a regular slow cooker, for those of you who do not YET own a pressure cooker.Print
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 28 ounce can diced tomato
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to your desired heat)
- 1 – 13.2 ounce can Pillsbury Simply Rustic French Bread, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon each, basil, fennel, and oregano
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a pressure cooker combine onion, carrots, red pepper, celery, and garlic. Stir in tomatoes ( do not drain), broth, tomato juice, lemon juice, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Set on High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the french bread dough into 6 pieces and place in a large bowl. Add spice, parmesan cheese, and olive oil, toss to coat, making sure to evenly distribute the spices and cheese.
- After the 15 minutes, allow pressure cooker to set for an additional 10 minutes, then release pressure.
- Remove lid and place the french bread pieces evenly over the soup. Put the lid back on and set the pressure cooker to High pressure for 6-8 minutes. Allow to set for several minutes then release the pressure.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese.
Slow cooker instructions:
Add the first 11 ingredients to a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Remove lid and place bread pieces on top of soup. Replace the lid. If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 50 to 60 minutes more. Do not lift lid during cooking time.