Nothing says Spring like Pretzel Crust Strawberry Pie.
Strawberries signal the start of the Spring season of food. Heart-shaped, brightly red, sweet, juicy and luscious all come to mind when describing strawberries.
Strawberries have the greatest fragrance. The scent is sweet, fresh and a tart. You can just smell them when you walk by them at the grocery store…..ahhhhh!
Strawberries are considered one of the healthiest fruits. Packed with antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals, they are also sodium, cholesterol and fat free. Strawberries have only
54 calories in a cup, so they are a great snack.
Of course in Pretzel Crust Strawberry Pie there are a few more calories, but they are well worth it……..every single calorie is soooooo worth it.
Everyone is familiar with Strawberry Pretzel Salad, a potluck staple. Well this pie is a take on that recipe.
A pretzel and vanilla wafer crust. Sweet and salty. And simple……just pretzels, vanilla wafer cookies, and butter. Mix it up, press into a pie dish, bake and cool.
I like to keep the berries whole. Just cut the stems off and set cut side down in the cooled crust. It make a beautiful presentation, but if you prefer you can slice the berries.
We made this pie every Spring when I worked at the grocery store, it was a staple. A sugar, cornstarch, water mixture is brought to a boil and thickened. Strawberry Jello is added and then the mixture is poured over the berries in the cooled pretzel crust.
Place in the frig overnight to set up. When you are ready to serve, garnish with whipped topping. In an effort to fancy smancy it up, you can also used a berry and a pretzel piece for that picture perfect look.
It’s Springtime….even if Mother Nature is not cooperating, so hurry her along and make a Pretzel Crust Strawberry Pie!!Print
Pretzel Crust Strawberry Pie
- Yield: 8
- 1 recipe Pretzel Crust (see below)
- 2 pints strawberries
- 2 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 box Strawberry Gelatin (like Jell-O)
- 1 cup Crushed Pretzels
- 1 cup Crushed Vanilla Wafers
- 1/3 cup Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix pretzels and vanilla wafers in melted butter.
- Press into a pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Cut the stems off of strawberries and place stem side down in cooled pie crust.
- Stir together sugar and cornstarch, add water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add Jell-O and stir until dissolved.
- Pour mixture over strawberries.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Decorate with whipped topping.