Spring is in the air, although it really doesn’t quite feel like it here in Northern Illinois, so maybe a fresh springtime recipe will help. Springtime Asparagus Gnocchi.
As usual I was trolling Pinterest for recipe ideas. I had a package of gnocchi in the cupboard and had a hankering to use it. I came across a recipe from delish knowledge that looked wonderful. Onward I trolled, but kept coming back to the same recipe. After a few changes……. ta da……..Springtime Asparagus Gnocchi. So thank you to delish knowledge for such a wonderful inspiration. Continue reading “Springtime Asparagus Gnocchi”
Asparagus Goat Cheese Pizza
As our asparagus patch winds down for it’s first productive year, I wanted to make something different with our last cutting.
How about Asparagus Goat Cheese Pizza? I ran across a recipe that was written in…..you guessed it French (if you are new to our blog I am a huge French/France fan). Now translations sometimes do not go as you plan. Some words do not translate into the same products or instructions…….well lets just say, if I ever had to cook in France I may not do so well…….
That being said, I decided that perhaps my best approach was to make my own recipe and forget the translation. If you would like to see the original recipe take a look at the La popotte de Manue website. It is all written in French but is a very pretty website.
So, on to my version, I liked the idea of the asparagus and goat cheese, and adding bacon…….well, its bacon…… you can add bacon to anything and have a winner!
We always have onions on pizza, and red onions have the color and taste that are just right for this pizza. I wasn’t sure about the cream and egg mixture as the “sauce” but it lent a creaminess when mixed with all the other ingredients.
You can make your own dough or buy a ready made dough. Do use dough and not a pre made crust, as you need to make a rim so the egg mixture stays on the pizza, and isn’t a giant mess in the bottom of your oven.
So, for our final cut of asparagus, we give the Asparagus Goat Cheese Pizza a big thumbs up and we think you will too!!!!
- 1 fresh pizza dough
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Cook bacon until crisp, cool, crumble and set aside.
- Slice red onion and set aside.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
- Prepare the pizza dough. You can make your own dough or use a purchased dough. Roll dough into a 12 inch round and place on pizza stone or cookie sheet.
- Whisk together the cream and eggs, salt and pepper.
- Place the asparagus,bacon, red onion and goat cheese on the dough. Pour the egg cream mixture over the top.
- Bake at 400* until crust is browned and the topping is starting to turn golden, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with basil.
- Slice and enjoy!