Beet, Cucumber, Sweet Onion Salad with Dijon-Honey Dressing
When I first started to expand my culinary skills, the internet was not readily available……..truly shows my age…………but, cable TV and the start of the Food Network ,along with food magazines got my creative cook on.
Now, I love magazines and love to cook……match made in heaven. I got subscriptions to Gourmet, Bon Appetit, and Cooking Light. Later it was Food and Wine, Fine Cooking, and the list went on. Not to mention all the little cookbooks at the checkout counter. I had stacks and stacks of them. I would pour over them trying to find just the right recipe.
The Beet Cucumber Sweet Onion recipe came from Bon Appétit, the July 2002 edition. Later, I saw it again on one of my favorite recipe search websites, Epicurious, the hours I have spent on this web site……….oh my!!!
About the beets…….as a child…….never, never never, would I eat them. As an adult, whole different story. I totally love them. And, because I love them I grow them every year in my garden. They are easy to grow……just be sure to thin them so they have room to spread out. Cooking them is a breeze…….roast them!
All you need to do is wash them, clip off the tops leaving about and inch or so, leave the tap root on , place them on a foil lined cookie sheet ,sprinkle a little water on them, cover with foil and bake in a 400* oven until tender. Let them cool slightly, and the skins peel right off. At that point you can use them in the Beet, Cucumber, Sweet Onion Salad with Dijon Honey Dressing or your favorite beet recipe. You can also freeze them. They freeze beautifully.
The hardest part of this recipe is roasting the beets, which isn’t hard at all. The rest is easy peasy………just slice and arrange. Whisk together the dressing and you are all set. This can be done in advance and is easy to take with you…….it’s still summer picnic and family reunion time. Who doesn’t want an easy take along……that bonus……. is really pretty………….Beet, Cucumber, Sweet Onion Salad with Dijon Honey Dressing!Print
- 6 medium beets, trimmed
- 1 large cucumber, unpeeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 sweet onion (such as Maui or Vidalia), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap each beet in foil, enclosing completely. Place on rack in oven and bake until beets are tender when pierced with fork, about 1 hour Cool in foil. Peel beets, then cut each into 6 slices.
- Arrange beets, slightly overlapping, on half of large platter. Arrange cucumber slices on other half. Scatter onion in center. (Can be made 4 hours ahead; chill.)
- Whisk honey, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over vegetables.