Tandoori Chicken Burgers
The weather might be trying to keep a foothold in winter but, I am ready for Spring!!! This winter has been sooooo long, cold and snowy. I am not a huge winter weather lover, but this year was about more than a girl could stand. I will be putting my boots and winter coat away and no matter what happens, I will not put them on again until November!!!!!
Now, my rant is over, on to Spring talk…….I am ready to grill again. I know…….you can grill all winter if you want too, but, I don’t like to be cold ,so I AM NOT going to stand outside in the cold to grill. Sorry I think that was a rant again…….
Burgers, they beg to be grilled. I did not grill this burger, but will most certainly be making the Tandoori Chicken Burgers again very soon…… on the grill….did you hear that Mother Nature?
I have seen these burgers made with lamb, beef, or chicken, but in an effort to begin eating better, I chose chicken. The bread is Naan, an Indian flatbread, instead of a traditional bun. I am sure you can make the bread yourself, but I have found it readily available at the grocery store.
The Tandoori Chicken Burger is flavor packed, and topped with cucumber, red onion, cilantro and a cool yogurt sauce. Wrapped in the Naan, it makes a healthy alternative to a regular burger.
- 1½ pounds ground chicken breast
- 4 green onions
- 3 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Naan bread
- red onion sliced thinly
- Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 small container fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Place the chicken and spices in a large bowl. Mix well. Form into 4 patties.
- Place yogurt, mint, cumin, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir together. Set aside.
- Slice cucumbers, red onions, and lightly chop cilantro. Set aside.
- Cook burgers on a preheated grill over medium-medium high grill. About 3 minutes per side. You can cook inside in a large skillet also. Grill Naan bread or warm in a skillet or grill pan.
- Top the burgers with a few sliced cucumbers, red onion, and a generous handful of cilantro.
- Add the yogurt sauce and serve.