Toasted Quinoa Cabbage Salad
This salad was totally for me……..and it was damn good!!!!
Truth be told Tim is not a quinoa lover. I adore it….I would eat it all the time. I have found it frozen at my local grocery store, which I should give a heads up to Kroger…What the “Forks” for Dinner’s, go to grocer. The frozen quinoa comes in a steam-able bag and is perfect for dishes that call for quinoa….pop it in the wave and a couple of minutes later…ta da…..recipe ready.
I have been eating a lot of chickpeas …aka garbanzo beans lately. They have a kinda nutty taste and a texture thats buttery, but starchy too. Plus they have a ton of fiber and protein that makes them perfect for a meatless dish. Not this dish…..it has bacon….yum!!! The dish has bacon because it has cabbage, and you need bacon with cabbage…..just saying!
The other ingredients, were things I had left over from other dishes. Thats the tough part of buying groceries for two, you have stuff left! So, in my effort to be thrifty, I wanted to use up, some carrots,red pepper, and snow peas. They melded really well with the quinoa, bacon, and cabbage.
A little lemon zest and juice for a bright tartness, and dill for that springtime touch…..Toasted Quinoa Salad. You can serve this either warm or cold…..perfect springtime salad for lunch or a light dinner!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil oil
- 2 slices applewood smoke bacon cut into small pieces
- ½ head cabbage thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red pepper
- ¼ cup carrots
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. (I buy mine frozen in a steam-able bag at my local grocery store.)
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove, reserving the bacon fat. Add cabbage, red pepper, and carrots cooking until cabbage is limp.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add quinoa, and raise heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is toasted and crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chickpeas, snow peas, bacon,lemon zest and juice, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in dill.