Vegetable Sandwich with Dill Sauce
Ahhh………the sweet smell of Spring. Today was the first day that makes me think we may have turned a corner, and that warmer weather is on the way. Of course, that would be on the last day of my Spring Break……..back to school tomorrow. It never fails that our Spring Break weather leaves much to be desired. But, I take solice in the fact that the school year is almost over, and Summer Break is close at hand.
So in a tribute to Spring………a Vegetable Sandwich with Dill Sauce. Dill always makes me think of Spring……..I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s just fresh, grassy, and green.
When I worked at the grocery store, the deli made a veggie sandwich that was really good, just several types of cheese, and a selection of fresh veggies. So this sandwich is a small tribute to that sandwich.
I think all sandwiches need some kind of sauce, wether is is just mayo, or something a little bit more adventurous ……….ya need some sauce!
Dill sauce is the just the right complement for this veggie sandwich. Made with greek yogurt, horseradish mustard, and a healthy dose of dill, it makes this the perfect topper for the veggies.
I still am trying to health up my eating, you know adding more veggies and boosting the taste without extra fat and calories. While the bagel is probably not the perfect choice for bread, the beauty of this sandwich is that you can use whatever type of bread you chose. Same goes for the veggies. Use what you like, or what you have on hand. The recipe is really just for the sauce, the rest is all up to you. I only used a single slice of cheese, but feel free to use extra slices or a different kind of cheese. I really like smoked provolone, and thought the flavor was perfect with the bagel, sauce and veggies.
So,maybe this week make yourself a Vegetable Sandwich with Dill Sauce and take one to work. All your friends will want to know where you got that sandwich……..you can tell them you got it from What the “Forks for Dinner.
- 1cup plain yogurt
- . 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- . 1½ teaspoons Horseradish Dijon mustard
- . 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- . Salt
- . Fresh-ground black pepper
- . Everything bagels
- Sliced provolone
- . Campari tomatoes, sliced
- . English cucumber, sliced thin
- . Red onion, sliced very thin
- . Grated carrot
- Red, yellow, and green pepper, sliced
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, dill, mustard, vinegar, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- Split and toast the bagels.
- Spread a tablespoon of the dill sauce on each side of each the bagel half. Place a slice of provolone on the bottom of each bagel bottom. Layer the veggies in what ever order you wish. Place the top on the sandwich and enjoy.