White Bean Bruschetta Burger
First it was Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then New Years, Super Bowl Sunday, and Valentines Day……whewwww…………can you say food coma.
I am ready to give my body a break. Working as a Food Service Director for a school district, my focus daily is on nutritious, healthy meals…….at school I have that down pat! At home, I do not practice what I preach, but I am going to give it a whirl. I will never be a vegetarian, or even a total health nut. I enjoy food to much to never have a brownie or a deep fried…….well a deep fried anything again………but I do want to try to make better choices on a regular basis. Biggest problem with that……TASTE. I will not eat sticks and grass….or things that taste like it in the name of healthy eating.
But, give me something tasty that’s good for you ……I’m there! At work I receive tons of recipes from all sources and it gives me inspiration for many of my recipes. Tim is a huge bean fan, me not so much, but I am willing to try new things. So when I saw a bean burger recipe I thought……. maybe????
So, I have always liked a pasta with white beans, rosemary, and tomatoes. Throw in some basil and parmesan cheese, add some garlic bread…….it’s dinner time. So, how to healthy it up? How about a bean burger, they make them from black beans all the time, so why not white beans, a little rosemary, a toasty ciabatta bun (whole grain), just a touch of mayo (lite), and a tasty topping of bruschetta ( one of my personal favorite things). While I confess it is not the same as the pasta, it was really good. I feel like I have made progress………..
- 1-15oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-15oz can Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls, split and toasted
- Red Onion slices and leaf lettuce
- Basil Mayo - see recipe
- Bruschetta - see recipe
- In a food processor, combine both beans, garlic, rosemary, and panko crumbs. Pulse until smooth. Add egg and pulse until combined. (If you do not have a food processor you can mash the beans with a potato masher or forks and add remaining ingredients.) Shape into 4 burgers.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook burgers until they are heated through and golden brown. They should reach an internal temperature of 145*.
- To assemble burgers, spread bottom of each bun with 2 teaspoons of the basil mayo. Place the burger on top of the mayo, add lettuce and onion slice, top with the bruschetta mixture and top of bun.
- ¼ cup mayo ( I prefer Miracle Whip)
- ½ teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- Combine all ingredients. Let set to blend flavors. Refrigerate any unused portions.
- 4 small roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons basil, minced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Combine all ingredients. Keep at room temperature until serving.Refrigerate any unused portions.