- 1– 7 ounce container white boiler onions, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspooj pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cooking Spray
- Onion Dip:
- 2 tablespoons miracle whip
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Slice off the root end of the onion taking off as little as possible. Carefully peel onions. Cut the onions into eighths with a sharp knife, careful not to cut all the way through the onion you want the onion to stay together.
- In a large bowl whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Toss the prepared onions into the buttermilk mixture. Allow the onions to marinade for at least 15 minutes, they can be made ahead and marinade overnight.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, panko crumbs, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the onions from the buttermilk mixture. Before dipping, gently press on them to separate the section. Be gentle or you will break the sections and not have a bloom.
- Dredge the onions in the flour mixture making sure to get it into all the sections of the onion.
- Place the prepared onions in the basket of your preheated Air Fryer. Spray the onions with non-stick cooking spray so you have that crispy coating. Make sure to get the spray into the sections of the onions as much as possible to avoid dry spots.
- Follow the directions for your Air Fryer. Mine is a NuWave Brio and took 8-10 minutes at 360* degrees.
- While the onions are cooking in a small bowl blend together all the dip ingredients until combined.
- Remove the onions from the Air Fyer and serve with dip.
Alternately you can deep fry the mini onions in 350* degree oil for 4-6 minutes until they are golden brown.
This recipe can easily be double or tripled.
Keywords: boiler onions, egg, buttermilk, panko crumbs, smoked paprika, air fryer, appetizer