- For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- For the topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- For crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9″x 13″ baking pan with non stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and creamy.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour and salt, mixing until dough is crumbly but holds together when pinched.
- Press dough evenly and firmly into prepared pan. Chill 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- For filling:
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- Mix flour and ginger in the bowl of a food processor. Process until ginger is finely chopped (about 1 minute)if using crystalized ginger. Stir in baking powder.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar. Add flour mixture, and mix until combined. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour filling mixture over crust.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until filling is almost set. Remove from oven and set aside while making the topping.
- For topping:
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter, mixing well. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over filling. Gently press into the filling.
- Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and almonds are lightly toasted.
- Cool bars completely in pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
- Decorated with candied lemons, or sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
*You can substitute 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar , mixed with 2 teaspoons of water in place of crystallized ginger. Do not mix add to flour mixture but add with wet ingredients.
Serving size of 24 is based cutting 2 inch bars.
Keywords: almond, lemon, dessert bar, bake, dessert