- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 granny smith apple, cored, and cut into 12 wedges
- 4 hamburger or kaiser buns, lightly toasted
- Dice bacon and cook in a small skillet until crisp. Remove from pan to drain on paper toweling. Add onions to bacon drippings and saute until lightly browned. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine, ground chicken, bacon, onion, sage, 2 teaspoons of maple syrup, salt and pepper. Mix well and divide into 4 burgers.
- Place the burger on a grill pan or outdoor grill coated with non-stick cooking spray. Grill burgers 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toss apple wedges with remaining 1 teaspoon of maple syrup. Grill the apple slices until you have nice grill marks.
- To assemble the burgers place burger on bottom half of bun. Top with Maple Dijon Sauce (see recipe below), top with grilled apples and top half of bun.
- Maple Dijon Sauce:
- Mix together 3 tablespoons mayo or salad dressing, 2 tablespoons dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 small shallot( about 3 teaspoons). Serve with Apple Bacon Burger.
Keywords: ground chicken, apple, maple syrup, mustard, burger, grill