- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Slivered almonds and chocolate chips for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray your cake pans with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add sugar, flour, dark cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of your standing mixer, and mix on medium until well blended.
- Stir espresso powder into strong black coffee until fully dissolved. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add to your flour mixture along with the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, scrape down the sides, and then continue mixing for 90 seconds. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared baking pans.
- Bake 8″ pans for 35-40 minutes, 9″ pans for 30-35 minutes, or bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from pans.