- 3 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 12 large sea scallops (about ½ pound), patted dry with paper towels
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon bacon drippings
- Butter lettuce leaves
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes
- Basil Mayo
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- In a small bowl mix the Miracle Whip, basil, pepper, garlic powder, and celery salt. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until just crispy. Drain on paper toweling reserving the bacon dripping in skillet.
- Sprinkle the patted dry scallops with the pepper and sugar. ( Dusting scallops with a small amount of sugar will help in getting a caramelized crust).
- Cook scallops in reserved bacon drippings over medium high heat, about 2 minutes per side until golden brown and opaque. Do not over cook or they will be tough.
- Cut each bacon strip into 4 pieces. To make stacks, slice scallops in half, top the bottom half of scallop with a piece of bacon, lettuce, a dollop of basil mayo, a cherry or grape tomatoes and the top of scallop. Insert a wooden pick or skewer to hold the stack in place.
- Arrange on serving platter or in individual tiny plates and serve.