- Bottom Layer
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons cream
- ½ cup sugar divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 9oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs & cream. Whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Spread into prepared pan and bake 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Over medium heat, combine milk and ¼ cup sugar. Bring just to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with ¼ cup sugar and vanilla. Add in cornstarch until completely mixed and smooth.
- Add 1 cup of the hot milk to the yolks and stir well. Pour the yolk mixture back into the pot and whisk continuously over medium heat until mixture thickens. Cool slightly in the pot for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Spread custard over prepared bottom and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Bring heavy cream just to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Add chocolate chips and do not stir. Let sit 5 minutes add butter and whisk until completely smooth. Pour over custard layer and let cool at room temperature 30 minutes. Refrigerate until serving.