- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Bratwurst, cut into 1inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
- 2 cups (½-inch-diced) peeled butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2-to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup good dry white wine
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup small pasta, uncooked
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bratwurst and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic, thyme, crushed red pepper and bayleaf. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes with their juices, and white wine.
- Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors blend, about 20 minutes.
- Add macaroni and beans to soup and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Add pesto and spinach stirring until pesto is incorporated and spinach is just wilted. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with parmesan cheese, and crusty bread if desired.