- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 4 egg
- Sal and pepper to taste
- 2 english muffins, split
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese,plus extra for garnish
- Shape sausage into 4 patties, making a hole in the center of each patty. You can use a drinking glass or round cookie cookie cutter for this, or shape by hand. If using the cutter method, form the sausage you removed from the center around the sausage circle, careful not to cover the hole.
- Combine garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, butter, and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and mix well.
- Spread each of the muffins with the butter/parmesan mixture. In a skillet or on a griddle over medium heat place the muffins, spread side down and cook until toasty brown. Keep an eye on them as they can quickly burn.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage rings for 5 minutes, then carefully flip over an cook for another 3-4 minutes. Make sure the sausage is cooked completely.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into a small dish and pour gently in to the center of each sausage patty. Season with salt and pepper. Once all egg are in place a lid on the skillet an cook until the eggs are the desired doneness.
- To assemble place a toasted muffin on a plate, and top with a egg/sausage patty.
- Garnish with extra parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
A portion of this recipe was adapted from Ina Garten’s Herb Baked Eggs recipe.