- 2 loaves sweet french bread, cut into 8–2 inch thick slices
- CARAMEL BASE:
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 –8 oz. tub of Honey Pecan Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche
- EGG MIXTURE:
- 1 cup half and half
- 6 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter. Microwave until butter is melted. Stir until well blended. Pour into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In another small bowl mix together the cream cheese and dulce de leche.
- Using a paring knife, cut about 1 inch into the tops of each slice of bread to create a pocket.
- Stuff the insides of the pockets with 1 1/2 tablespoons or more of the cream cheese caramel mixture.
- Arrange the stuffed slices of bread in the baking dish, so that the tops of the bread are facing up so the filling does not melt out.
- Combine half and half, eggs, vanilla, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and pour evenly over bread slices. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans and sugar over bread slices.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours.Take the casserole out of the fridge for at least 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Make sure all bread slices are evenly coated in egg mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove French toast from oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Serve Homemade Vanilla Syrup.
I only let mine set for about an hour the first time I made it and it turned out fine.
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, caramel, pecans, french toast