- 1 unbaked double pie crust recipe (store bought or homemade)
- 7 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon of butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Turbinado sugar (natural cane sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss together the pitted cherries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract, vanilla extract and corn starch in a large bowl until evenly coated.
- Roll out the bottom pie crust, and gently lay it in a 9-inch pie pan. Transfer the cherry filling to the pie crust, and sprinkle with little dots of butter.
- Roll out the top pie crust, and either lay on top and cut a few slits in the middle to make a full double pie crust. Or cut the top pie crust into strips to make a lattice pie crust (I Googled this as it was the first lattice pie I have ever made). Brush pie crust with milk and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. Then freeze for about 10 minutes, before baking.
- Place the pie in the middle rack, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil to catch any drips. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and cook for 35-45 additional minutes, or until the crust is nicely golden and the filling is thick and bubbly.
- Cool completely before serving.
Keywords: cherries, pie crust, pie, bake