- 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced thinly into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 small thin cucumbers
- 1 shallot
- Slice the cucumbers and shallot into very thin slices (a mandoline makes quick work).
- Add sliced cucumber, shallot and ginger to a quart jar or place in a medium size bowl.
- In a smaller bowl or jar, whisk the rice vinegar, sugar, salt and chile flakes together until the sugar has dissolved and pour over the cucumbers, tossing lightly to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.