- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup strong espresso, cooled, I used an instant espresso powder
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F Line a 12 muffin cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and cocoa powder. Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugars and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, coffee, melted butter, and vanilla and almond extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and fold and mix just until combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be pretty thick. Gently fold in almonds and chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups. I like to use a ice cream scoop to ensure even muffins.
- Make the topping by tossing together turbinado sugar, almonds, and chocolate chips in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly on top of the muffins. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool on wire rack until cool enough to handle. Remove muffins from tin and allow to cool.