My take on the Fine Cooking version.
- 1–1/4 cups stout, such as Guinness (don’t include the foam when measuring)
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (extra for dusting the pans)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1–1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, very finely chopped
- For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 10- or 12-cup bundt pan (or twelve 1-cup mini bundt pans) with cooking non stick cooking spray and then lightly coat with sifted cocoa powder. Tap out any excess cocoa.
- In a small saucepan bring the stout and molasses to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand while preparing the cake batter.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cream the butter in a large bowl on medium speed ( stand or hand mixer) until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scraping the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs one at a time. On low speed, alternate the flour and stout mixtures. Scraping the bowl as needed.Then beat at medium speed until the batter is smooth. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan (or pans), spreading evenly. Tap pan on table a few time to remove air bubbles. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes (about 25 -30 minutes for mini cakes). Set the pan on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and remove the pan. Let cool.
- Make the glaze:
- Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute and then whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle cakes with glaze and then let cool.
Keywords: stout beer, chocolate, cake, bake, bundt