- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté on low for 3-4 minutes.
- Trim asparagus, removing tough ends, and cut into 2 inch pieces, reserving the tips for garnish
- Add diced potato and asparagus pieces to onion and garlic in the pot. Add chicken stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until asparagus is very tender. While asparagus is cooking, blanch tips until tender crisp, cool under running water and set aside for garnish.
- Remove from heat and using an immersion blender puree until smooth (alternately you can puree mixture in a regular blender in batches, then return to pot). Stir in sour cream until well blended.
- Ladle into serving bowls, garnishing with asparagus tips and parmesan cheese.
Be sure to cut asparagus into 2 inch or less pieces so they blend well with the immersion blender.