- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons Guajillo chile powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3–4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced ( seed if you want a less spice)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup ( not pancake syrup)
- 1 cup Mexican beer ( I used Modelo )
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Mini (street) corn or flour tortillas
- Cotija Cheese
- In a large shallow container, whisk together the coffee beans, and the next 6 ingredients. Place the chuck roast into the spices. Pat and rub the spice mixture all over the beef.
- Place the chopped onions in the bottom of your crock pot. Place the spice-covered chuck roast over top. Top with garlic, chipotles, maple syrup, beer, and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover and cook : low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred. Return shredded beef to the crock pot to keep warm.
- Heat tortillas. Fill with beef, cheese , and garnish with cilantro.