- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large apples (your choice), cored, and cut into eights
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides. Coat pan with turbinado sugar; tap out excess. Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in 3/4 cup sugar, water and cinnamon and bring to boil. Add apples and cook until apples are just tender, turning frequently, about 15 minutes. Remove apples, using slotted spoon, and arrange decoratively in bottom of pan. Continue boiling liquid in skillet until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Pour over apples.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl. Whisk remaining 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, eggs, apple juice concentrate and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gently stir in dry ingredients. Fold in 1/2 cup melted butter. Pour batter over apples in pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Run small sharp knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: cake, dessert, apple, bake