- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 28 ounce can diced tomato
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 –1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to your desired heat)
- 1 – 13.2 ounce can Pillsbury Simply Rustic French Bread, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon each, basil, fennel, and oregano
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a pressure cooker combine onion, carrots, red pepper, celery, and garlic. Stir in tomatoes ( do not drain), broth, tomato juice, lemon juice, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Set on High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the french bread dough into 6 pieces and place in a large bowl. Add spice, parmesan cheese, and olive oil, toss to coat, making sure to evenly distribute the spices and cheese.
- After the 15 minutes, allow pressure cooker to set for an additional 10 minutes, then release pressure.
- Remove lid and place the french bread pieces evenly over the soup. Put the lid back on and set the pressure cooker to High pressure for 6-8 minutes. Allow to set for several minutes then release the pressure.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese.
Slow cooker instructions:
Add the first 11 ingredients to a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Remove lid and place bread pieces on top of soup. Replace the lid. If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 50 to 60 minutes more. Do not lift lid during cooking time.