- 4 large sweet onions ( Vidalias if in season otherwise any sweet onion will do)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Salt & Fresh ground black pepper
- 2–3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Croutons ( I make mine from left over French bread but store bought are also fine)
- Shredded Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
- Melt butter over med-low heat. Add onions, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook onions until soft and translucent. 30-40 minutes or until very soft…..do not allow to brown.
- Add chicken broth, wine and thyme. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- To Serve:
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven safe bowls. Top with croutons and cheese. This is a personal preference so use as much or as little as you like.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and browning. Watch carefully as it can go from golden brown to burnt very quickly.
Keywords: sweet onions, chicken broth, butter, thyme,swiss cheese, soup,