- Shortcake Biscuits:
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Turbinado Sugar ( if you do not have Turbinado regular sugar
- will work also )
- Strawberry Topping:
- 3 1/2 cups fresh, ripe organic strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and honey until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, whisking together until well combined.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator 10-15 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and gently flatten to about one-inch thick. I got 8 biscuit out of the dough.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Allow biscuits to cool completely before splitting and filling.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced strawberries, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Allow to set for an hour or two.
- Do not let set more than an hour or two as the berries will get mushy. They will still fast good but they will not look as pretty.
- To Assemble:
- Split biscuits in half and top with a couple of heaping spoonfuls of strawberry topping and a dollop of whipped cream
Keywords: strawberries, gluten free, shortcake, dessert