- 2 – 8 ounce packages crescent roll sheets
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup Fried Onions
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Bring a large saucepan of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Add the beans and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain beans and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, shallot, salt and pepper and cook, stir occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme,and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of flour over mushrooms and cook for another minute. Add the broth, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and pour in the half-and-half and continue cooking 6 to 8 minutes until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl mix the Fried Onions and butter until mixed well, set aside.
- While the mixture is cooling unroll the crescent sheets and cut each sheet in quarters, rolling the pieces to make squares. They do not have to be perfect.
- Place a heaping quarter of a cup of the bean mixture just off center of the square. Fold the dough over the filling to form a turnover. Seal the edges. Repeat with the reaming squares, placing the turnovers on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Make an egg wash using 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush each turnover with the egg wash and top with the fried onion butter mixture dividing it equally between the turnovers.
- Bake in preheat 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes until the crescent are nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and serve.