- 8 pieces bacon, cooked crisp, reserving 2 tablespoons for topping, reserve
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 16 oz whole mushrooms
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese mix
- Salt and Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare grill.
- Using a damp paper towel or mushroom brush wipe mushrooms of any visible dirt and remove stems.
- In a small skillet, heat reserved bacon fat over medium high heat. Add shallots and sauté just until translucent. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, Panko crumbs, 1 cup cheddar cheese mix, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Add spinach and bacon to the cheese mixture. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Place mushroom caps onto a small sheet that will fit your grill or use a grate made for the grill.
- Fill mushroom cups with cheese mixture I used a small ice cream scoop and then pressed down lightly so you can get more filling in.
- Sprinkle each stuffed mushroom with a little bit of reserved cheese and bacon.
- Grill about 20 minutes.
- Alternately you can bake in a 350* oven for the same amount of time.
Keywords: bacon, mushrooms, spinach, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, appetizer, side dish, grill