- 1 pound dry northern beans
- 16 cups water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 pinches cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place dry beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Let soak over night.
- In a large stock pot, melt coconut oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until cooked through. Add onion, red pepper and remaining ingredients cook until onion is translucent about 5 minutes. Add beans and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hour or until beans are tender. You can also place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and extra cilantro if desired.
Prep time does not include soaking of the beans over night
Keywords: chili, chicken, northern beans, simmer